COOK / REFRIGERATE TIME:
4 HOURS and 15 MINUTES
Author: Christi Davis
Recipe type: Gluten Free / Dairy Free / Vegan
Yield: 4-6 Servings
Equipment: Ice Cream Maker
*Put ice cream maker’s bowl in freezer 1 day before making.
- 2 13.5 oz. Cans Full Fat Coconut Milk
- ½ Cup Maple Syrup
- ¼ Teaspoon Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1 TBSP Arrowroot Starch
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ Box Chocolate Crème Cookies – Crumbled (I used Goodie Girl Brand)
- Pour both cans of coconut milk in medium saucepan. Add syrup and salt.
- Warm up the mixture on medium heat around 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cornstarch to the pot and gently whisk until completely combined.
- Heat through until starts to thicken. Let the base thicken until starts sticking to the back of a spoon, around 5-7 minutes. Do not allow it to come to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
- Pour contents into a shallow glass bowl. Let cool on the counter about 30 minutes before putting in fridge. Optional – cover milk base, lightly pressing down with saran wrap to avoid skin from forming.
- Refrigerate 4-6 hours and up to 3 days.
- Place frozen bowl into ice cream maker along with center paddle. Add coconut base to bowl and begin churning. Let churn for about 8-12 minutes. Mine was done around 10 minutes in – gets to be like a soft-serve texture. This is the time to add the cookie crumbles for that final churning.
- Either serve immediately or pour into container. Cover ice cream with parchment paper and then lid. Store in freezer.
- I find that all non-dairy ice cream needs about 5-7 minutes of thawing before scooping. Brings out the flavor and is a nice texture.
*Try and use all organic ingredients if possible.